[Asterisk-Users] ultra-cheap asterisk box -> sorta OT, more a bout Dell

Colin Anderson ColinA at landmarkmasterbuilder.com
Fri Jan 16 11:22:15 MST 2004

FWIW:

I order a lot of Dells. My boss is cheap. That being said, I *like* Dell,
it's a very well designed box. It's been said many times that Dell does not
innovate, instead they copy and improve and I firmly agree with the
"improve" part - they are a dream to work on.

Some things to watch out for with Dell:

1. They typically tack on a shipping charge of $139 Cdn (yes they are using
the shipping charge as a profit center) - the shipping charge is not
negotiable, *but* once in a while they waive the shipping if sales are slow,
so it behooves you to check and order *just* before the end of the month
when there is an internal push to meet sales targets and move boxes

2. Don't bother ordering RAM from Dell. Configure the box w/ 128mb of RAM,
and as soon as you get the RAM, rip it out and buy 3rd party, which is as
much as 50% cheaper and in most cases is *exactly* the same RAM as the Dell
box. Your box dies? Take out your RAM, stick in your original 128mb, then
call Dell.

As an example, on the 400SC mentioned here, I can get a 512mb stick from a
Vancouver place that I order from (ncix.com) for $102 Cdn!!!

3. First thing we do when we get Dells is throw away the driver disks
because they are useless. Instead, we open up the box, determine what
chipsets they use, and download new drivers from the OEM. Typically, they
are more up to date, and in the Windows world, they aren't tied to a
specific OS like XP (you can't install a factory Dimension broadcom Dell
driver on Win2K, because it is XP-only, for example)

4. Dell loves to do hidden partitions on hard drives for their BIOS setups,
like Compaq Deskpros, Prolineas and Proliants of yore. That means you can't
press Del to enter a BIOS setup like you can on a clone AMI bios. You press
F2 and the system boots from the hidden partition. This presents a problem
if you re-image the drive with GHOST or install a distro and specify to re
partition the HDD. What I do is GHOST the factory HDD to another HDD,
re-partition it or re image it, and carry on with life. If I ever have to
change the boxes BIOS, I pop in the original imaged of the HDD and boot off
that. What makes this work well is Dell's killer design - you don't need
tools to get in the case or remove the HDD. Takes all of 30 seconds to do a
drive swap.