[Asterisk-Users] Hardware for Asterisk

Walt Reed asterisk at linuxguy.com
Fri Jan 16 08:04:35 MST 2004

On Fri, Jan 16, 2004 at 07:47:34AM -0500, Andrew Kohlsmith said:
> I can also put some extra dimes into the power supply... or fans... or
> anything.  Dell/Compaq/whoever does not mean high quality by default.

In fact, they generally used the CHEAPEST parts they can find to keep
costs down. Dell's low price point is low for a reason.

> > Also Dell is more likely to have a part to fix your machine in the mail
> > within hours instead of you waiting till you can get to the store to
> > purchase your replacement part before RMAing the part and waiting the
> > couple of weeks for the replacement.
>
> This is true.

Well, overnight anyway. But it's also true that if you use standard off
the shelf items, you can get replacement parts within hours or even
minutes depending how close you are to a computer store. So many
companies like HPaq and Dell use custom parts - you can't just drop a
generic replacement in.

> > In general, you get what you pay for, and less so when you go bargain
> > hunting. It all comes down to the same old problem of figuring out what
> > your time and downtime are worth.

When I build my systems from scratch, I don't generally go "bargain
hunting", I generally buy the best quality parts I can. This doesn't
mean that I buy the most expensive parts however. When you buy a
complete system, you don't know WHAT you will get. eMachines for
example, but gateway and dell fall have the same issues.