[Asterisk-Users] QoS anyone?

Andrew Thompson asteriskuser at aktzero.com
Fri Jan 16 06:32:39 MST 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dustin Goodwin" <nospam-arisk at voipexperts.com>
To: <asterisk-users at lists.digium.com>
Sent: Friday, January 16, 2004 8:10 AM
Subject: Re: [Asterisk-Users] QoS anyone?

> Rich,
> I would be surprised to find this.  Typically ISP's will reset all QOS
> settings to 0 either on your CPE router if they manage it or on the
> aggregation router your circuit is connected to.  Almost always if they
> support DSCP/TOS matching and priority queuing in the core of their
> network it's part of an extra charge service. If they don't do any
> priority queuing then they typical will just leave it alone and ignore it.
>
> - Dustin -

My guess is the only way to really find out would be to test each carrier
individually and then test interconnects. That would get messy fairly
quickly.

The best we can do is pick endpoints that we care about (site-to-site, etc)
and sniff the packets to see if the bits are still set. If they are, that
doesn't mean that the carrier is actually prioritizing, just not zero'ing
them out.

-----
Andrew Thompson http://aktzero.com/
Your eyes are weary from staring at the CRT. You feel sleepy. Notice how
restful it is to watch the cursor blink. Close your eyes. The opinions
stated above are yours. You cannot imagine why you ever felt otherwise.