[Asterisk-Users] QoS anyone?

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Fri Jan 16 05:37:29 MST 2004

> > Has anyone played around with QoS or TOS relative to * and sip phones?
> >
> > I was just doing a little real-time research and noticed our C7960's
> > mark IP packets with "low delay" and "high throughput" (presumably due
> > to tos_media: 5 in the SIPDefault config file), and rtp packets flowing
> > "from" asterisk back to the sip phone are not marked at all.
> >
> > Is there a * config parameter to enable such a function?
> http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-Asterisk+sip+tos

Thanks Olle.

I've tried tos=lowdelay and tos=throughput, and both "do" set the appropriate
tos bits in the IP header.

For those that might be digging through the archives, one can set the tos bits
via two different mechanisms:

first, as shown in the iax.conf samples, sip tos bits can be set towards the
top of the sip.conf file using:
  tos=lowdelay  ; or tos=throughput, etc.

or,

  tos=0x18   ; where the tos bits are set individually and in combination

For example
 tos=0x10 = low delay
 tos=0x08 = high throughput
 tos=0x04 = high reliability
 tos=0x02 = ECT bit set
 tos=0x01 = CE bit set

or one can set multiple bits, such as
 tos=0x18
to set both low delay and high throughput.

For those that might be sending sip/iax packets across the Internet, many
of the backbone ISPs now honor the QoS/TOS bit settings.

Rich