[Asterisk-Users] capacity testing

Chris Albertson chrisalbertson90278 at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 15 18:03:37 MST 2004

> I am
> rather
> curious as to why I seem to be using up all memory although I am not
> running
> any unnecessary processes, or should I actually disable all modules,
> other
> than really necessary ones to support VOIP?

Do you mean that Asterisk is using up all of your memory
or that all of your memory is i use?

If the former, that's odd.  But you should expect the later.
Linux is designed such that it will always try to put almost
all of your memory to good use.  It will use "extra" RAM as
a disk cache.  So if you were to cut the amount of RAM in
your system in half you'd have only slightly less free RAM
as Linux would use a smaller disk cache

Now if you say the Asterisk process in the idle state is
450MB then something is wrong

=====
Chris Albertson
  Home:   310-376-1029  chrisalbertson90278 at yahoo.com