[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk as a protocol converter?

Jorge Mendoza mendoza at tcc.com.pe
Thu Jan 15 16:30:59 MST 2004

Steven Critchfield wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-01-14 at 13:26, Jorge Mendoza wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>A customer has an old PBX, which accept only T1 (not PRI) trunks. The
>>local telco only provides Euro PRI. Could the following config works?:
>>
>>[telco] <-- E1 PRI --> [Asterisk] <-- T1 --> [PBX]
>>
>>Many thanks for your time
>

> Yes it can. You should be able to provide CallerID and DID support to
> the old PBX too.
>
> BTW, are you sure it accepts T1 in a location the provides E1 PRI? If so
> be aware you need the TE410P card and all the motherboard troubles that
> may entail.

Yes I'm sure. We imported and installed the PBX more than 15 years ago
when the telco had not digital CO trunk to offer to their customers. The
T1 were used as tie lines for they private network. However in our
country the public interconnection standars are european.
Reason: prices, E1 PBX version were a lot more expensive at that time.
My concern is reliability. The communication with the outside world will
depends on *.

Thank You Steven for your advise.

Jorge