[Asterisk-Users] Re: Proposed solution for exit code priority jumps

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Wed Jan 14 06:54:18 MST 2004

> With that in mind, I'm going to do something I only infrequently do,
> which is to re-post something in it's entirety and look for comments
> again instead of just posting the URL.  I'm getting very tired of the
> current jump-on-error method of priority control and error handling,
> and I think it's time for something a little more meaningful and
> robust.  Now that there will soon be the concept of "unstable" code,
> I think large ideas like this might see the light of day in the near
> future.
>
> I realize this is a major code shift, since it would require work in
> pretty much every single application.  It's easy for me to talk about
> this since I can't accomplish such a task.  However, without
> attention now, this may never be solved, which would be a pity
> because it's a real crimp in the style of anyone doing more than
> trivial dialplan manipulation - anyone doing cascading dial failovers
> will attest to that.
>
> Please look at and comment upon method #1 logic and syntax shown
> below; I think method #2 ("alternate method") is a bit too radical.

John,

Absolutely no disrespect intended or implied (to you or anyone)...

I'd vote for method #1, however...

We both know there are probably less then a dozen active developers that
have the knowledge/exerience to address it, and their plates are obviously
very full. The rest of us don't have the skills to participate in the
development even if we could devote the time. Lobbying them directly
with some form of architectural change document and obtaining their buy-
in "might" see some results over time.

Since there seems to be more then one topic like this lurking, it would
appear a more formal forum for such proposals would be a Good Thing.
Maybe that could be tied in some how with the movement towards cycling
stable releases.

Rich