[Asterisk-Users] hardware requirements of asterisk

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Wed Jan 14 06:45:04 MST 2004

> I have been playing with 2 Asterisk boxes for testing purposes, it has
> been going very well. The 2 boxes are PII celeron 400 (HP Deskpro) with
> sound cards and lan. I have iax connecting the 2 boxes.
>
> For making cals and testing out recorded message for 1 connection it was
>   working quite well. However, when I stressed it a bit with 2 users
> making calls, we started to here voice degradation and cracking noises.
> However, top shows cpu is 94% idle. I am suspecting the network. However
> it is 100M switch and I have not had any clue. I suppose it should at
> least be able to handle 10 calls similtaneously for even a small office.
> So what is the recommended spec for 5 users or 10 users?

Without any other factual detail, best guess is half vs full duplex problem
on one or more of the devices (phones, PC, etc).

Assuming you're using sip phones for testing (and we really don't even know
that for sure) and depending upon exactly what parameters you've applied
for each sip phone definition within asterisk, calls between phones are set
up by asterisk. Asterisk then instructs the two phones to communicate between
themselves, and bows out of the audio session. So, if you really are using
two sip phones, then you have a networking problem between those two
devices and not with asterisk.

For anyone to offer suggestions, you really need to provide more facts.