[Asterisk-Users] always 4 rings before * answers!?

WipeOut wipe_out at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Jan 14 02:09:22 MST 2004

Ralf Illing wrote:

> Hi all,
>

> I am trying to figure out how to configure asterisk to pick-up immediatly.
>
> I already had a look on the wiki and google the lists ... I was
> experimenting around a lot but still my phone rings exactly 4 times
> (always) before * answers it. Anybody has an idea - or maybe sth. I
> just wrapped?
>

> My Hardware: TDM400P PCI FXS, X100P PCI FXO
>

> ----extensions.conf----
>
> exten => s,1,Answer
>
> exten => s,2,setmusiconhold,default
>
> exten => s,3,responsetimeout,10
>
> exten => s,4,DigitTimeout,5
>
> exten => s,5,Goto,language_menu|s|1
>

> ---zapata.conf----
>
> immediate=yes

Its something you are going to have to live with if you are using analog
lines.. AFAIK Asterisk picks up the ringing by detecting a number of
"swings" on the line.. It can be adjusted but if it is made any lower
you end up getting lots of "phantom" calls where Asterisk will start to
ring you extensions but there is not actually a call coming in..

If you switch to a digital line (BRI or PRI) then there is actually a
signal sent to asterisk to tell it that a call is about to com in and so
it will respond immediately..

Later..