[Asterisk-Users] Best Linux Distribution

Walt Reed asterisk at linuxguy.com
Tue Jan 13 15:03:47 MST 2004

... And a few more cents - compile a kernel specific to your needs rather
than useing the stock kernel. Frankly, I do this with every distro, and
I tend to use the stock kernel.org kernel with whatever patches I need.
First, you get a kernel with less bloat (do you really need compiled-in
support for 600 different ethernet cards?) and you can maintain a config
that can easily migrate when new versions of the kernel come out.

The version of the kernel that comes with distros are great for
bootstrapping, but that's about it.