[Asterisk-Users] Re: Again: 7920 Cisco IP Phone Skinny & SIP

Siggi Langauf langausd at swt.uni-stuttgart.de
Tue Jan 13 11:51:25 MST 2004

Hi Jan,

first of all: please don't cross-post!

On Tue, 13 Jan 2004, Jan Czmok wrote:

[...]
>  SKINNY OffHookMessage
>  SKINNY SetSpeakerModeMessage
>  SKINNY OnHookMessage
>  SKINNY DisplayPromptStatusMessage

It looks like chan_sccp is doing something at this pont that upsets the
7920 so that it tries to fall back to SRST mode, before finally
re-registering. That re-registration is rejected by chan_sccp, though, as
the old connection is not closed, yet. So the 7920 gives up and tries to
find another CallManager.
Right now, Theo as well as Martin Bene are looking at the packet traces,
so I'm sure the issue will be located and fixed soon.

> But if you look at the Support of the 7920 in Callmanager Express, you
> get a file named "cmterm_7920.3.3-01-02-021.bin" so i was investigating
> further. so i wrote "cmterm_7920.3.3-01-02-021" in OS7920.TXT and
> suddenly the Cisco 7920 shows "Upgrading Firmware" :-)
> Unfortunately for some reason it did not accept the firmware, but it
> still tries to load it.

There should also be a digitally signed version of that file
(cmterm_7920.*.sbn), which the phone probably requires.

> Some additional info:
> ---------------------
> The 7920 is requesting cmterm_7920.3.3-01-02-021^J.bin
> (so with an Ctrl-J in it), so you have to rename the file.

You'd better remove the trailing Ctrl-J from OS7920.TXT, then (or stop
using editors that insist on adding one).

> I also got the information from documents that the 7920 is running in
> 7960 emulation mode, so draw your own conclusions in regards of SIP
> possiblity :-)

Nope, there is a statement from Cisco that SIP support for the 7920 is not
planned, ATM.
"7960 emulation mode" refers only to being compatible with a 7960, as long
as you do _not_ try to upload any firmware. (ie. Skinny-wise)
However, that compatibility is not quite 100%...

> I tried to use some 7960 images, but did not succeed :-(

Of course not, it's totally different hardware.

> Would appreciate some help in this issue :-)

Just sit back and wait!

Meanwhile, you can register your 7920 with CallManager Express and connect
that to asterisk via chan_oh323. (Note: chan_h323 will most likely not
work, at least if you need two-way audio ;)

Cheers,
	Siggi