[Asterisk-Users] T1 Sync clarification

Andrew Kohlsmith akohlsmith-asterisk at benshaw.com
Tue Jan 13 11:34:01 MST 2004

> Think we're trying to make this more difficult then what it really is.

[ lengthy and accurate text snipped ]

I think you're oversimplifying.  There is *no* need to have individual T1
spans synchronized to each other unless you're trying to aggregate the data
on those individual spans.  DS2/DS3 takes care of this with 'slop' bits in
which the individual DS1 frames can "float around" in.

We're not talking about aggregating the data though.  We're talking about
four individual T1/E1 framers -- Maybe my telco design has slipped a little
over the years but I see no necessity for the requirement that the four T1s
on a TE410P be in sync with each other.  As soon as you come out the ass
end of the framer you're running on internal card bus and more than likely
on PCI time, which has nothing at all to do with the T1s you started with.

So while you are absolutely correct in that for an overall network you need
to have everyone agree on a single clock source, it's often not going to
happen if you're running with different providers.  And if you're doing
this in anything other than a backup situation, you need to be able to sync
to both of these sources.  Whether that means you need two T100P cards
since they can individually sync, or some form of T1 buffer which will sync
to two clocks to satisfy this requirement... well that's up to the design
spec.

Which brings me back to my original question:  Can I sync to the telco, and
then have my channel banks synchronized to the TE410P, which I've
synchronized to the telco?

Regards,
Andrew