[Asterisk-Users] CONTEST: Top Posters win 80G Hard Drive

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Sun Jan 11 23:23:28 MST 2004

On Sun, 2004-01-11 at 17:32, David Burr wrote:
> Forums are more desirable for the newbie user. I realize people are set
> the their ways. thats fine :)

Maybe so, bt unfortunately newbies who don't get helped tend to loose
interest or worse yet go flaming away at anything in site. Forums will
not attract people with the appropriate knowledge base to be helpful.

Forums are intended for a normal sized monitor and usually a graphical
web client. Mailing lists can be synced to a laptop, pda, cell phone, or
any other device with some memory and a mail reader. Forums also don't
led themselves to continually driving traffic. It is a get your answer
and leave type of environment. A mailing list distributes all messages
to a user. There are many messages on this list that I tend to mark as
read without even skimming them. Sometimes when I see a thread has blown
up with a lot of responses, I might be inclined to check it out more.
Having the text already local to me makes this excursion much faster and
less distracting.

The other point to think about is that eventually the newbie must grow
up. Eventually they also will be trying to digest tons of information in
the most efficient manner. Forums are not efficient in the least. Forums
are only decent if the newbie will never grow up, and for flashing
banners at them.