[Asterisk-Users] far end disconnect supervision

Jonathan Moore moorejon at usd465.com
Sun Jan 11 12:36:56 MST 2004

Quoting Rich Adamson <radamson at routers.com>:

> > > Personal opinion is that throwing a channel bank at * (other then for
> > > better echo cancellation on trunks) is like taking a shower with your
> > > socks on; don't see any practical use. But, I'm sure some do.
> >
> > This statement assumes a lot.
> >
> > 1. That you don't want to use analog phones.
> > 2. That you need enough lines for a T1/PRI circuit. In this case the most
> > economical way to deploy a setup of say 5-16 voice lines is with a channel
> bank
> > and a T1 card in the * server. If there is some less expensive option
> please
> > share :-).
>
> Note the comment in the statement that says "other then ... trunks".
> Full agreement that most channel banks will handle echo cancellation,
> impedence matching, etc, very well. They've been doing it for years.
>
> The comment was oriented towards using a channel bank to connect analog
> phones to *, and was not intended to start another thread, flames, etc.
> And, we've all seen the discussion relative to the cost of sip phones
> vs analog many times over, use of left over slots for phones, etc, etc.
> If you have a specific case where that makes sense for you or your
> customer, knock yourself out (that would be the "some do" part).
> No need to rehash the "I'm cheaper then you are" discussions again.

Yes, I don't want to start a flame war and I am not really even advocating
analog phones or a discussion of the relative merits of analog/sip. We are
actually going the SIP route. My comment is more from the purspective of someone
new to phone systems and what was important for me to learn. I initially thought
we would lease a T1/PRI (which is what I normally think of as a "trunk" line,
but obviously that is my limited experience with telephony single single POTS
lines are also trunks), but because our call traffic is mostly internal we only
need somewhere in the neiborhood of 6-12 phone lines to the PSTN. It took a
while for me to realize that it was cheaper to buy a channel bank and a T1 card
than to purchase multiple single fxo cards.

Visit Winfield Public Schools at http://usd465.com