[Asterisk-Users] Free Software or not -- that's the question /* New subject */

Brian Capouch brianc at palaver.net
Sat Jan 10 13:03:23 MST 2004

asterisk at lists.styx.org wrote:

> And why is this unnecessary cruft included in the source
> tree? So that Digium can leverage the Free Software
> community into developing proprietary software for
> them.
>
> Am I way off the mark?

I think you're unfairly impugning Digium's motives.  And I also think
you're--again--salting your post with enough innuendo that a reasonable
person might suspect you of flame-baiting.

I suscribe to the mailing lists of several OS VoIP solutions, as I'm
sure do many others on this list.  There is nothing out there like
asterisk, in terms of it functionality, or the body of minds that have
collected to work on it.  I have recently found myself embarking on a
mini-career doing fundamental-level VoIP training to network operators,
technology freaks, and even some small-telco tech people. I take along a
laptop with asterisk on it and do a little song-and-dance that shows off
some of its gee-whiz features.

It is not much of an exaggeration to say that almost always people's
mouths drop open in amazement at what all that asterisk can do.  It's
comical sometimes how affected people are.

So I have all this functionality, and I have all the source code to it,
and I can legally keep it forever at this (mostly happy) level of
functionality, and if Digium drops off the face of the earth, I can
start with what's there ("we can start with what's there"; I know I
won't be alone) and keep going should that happen.

So I can look at the same set of facts that you do, but in my mind
Digium is not the nefarious would-be crook that you imply in your
postings, but rather a brilliant and disruptive force upon the telco
world.  And they are a *business,* and as many of the people reading
this sentence are bound to know, one trick of the Open Source world is
to figure out how to keep things open and free and at the same time how
to keep bread on the table and enough cashflow to keep up with the
technology (VoIP in this case) Joneses.

I cannot guess your motives, but I'm pretty sure that I *do* know what
Digium's motives are, and they are innocuous and altruistic instead of
the way you portray them.

Where are you trying to take this?

B.