[Asterisk-Users] Mailing list growth

daryl at introspect.net daryl at introspect.net
Sat Jan 10 08:55:24 MST 2004

Reasonable, but may need some serious topic policing at first (requiring
multiple list admins per list), again due to the fact that people often
will not know where their problem lies.

Also, just as an example.....the VoIP list would have discussions on it
like the recent calling card app....well, that doesn't sounds newbieish
at all.

Has anyone actually taken the time to do a message/category
classification and breakdown to see if the proposed split even makes
sense?  Would we end up with 10 messages a day in -biz, 25 or so in -tdm
and 100 in -users?

> As Robert pointed out LISTSERV has some nice topic features
> that could
> help, however the license ist costly (we have two LISTSERVs
> running). Let
> me add, though, that besides topic management LISTSERV can
> also provide
> super lists that are great to fight cross-postings - super
> lists group
> one or more normal lists or super lists. My guess is that
> there are other
> MLMs out there that have similar features.

LISTSERV is evil, and yes, there are (listserv is evil mostly because of
the abhorrent cost of something that is available via open source/free
alternatives and a couple of perl/awk/sed scripts).

Daryl G. Jurbala
BMPC Network Operations
Tel: +1 215 825 8401 x235
Fax: +1 508 526 8500