[Asterisk-Users] Called Party Identification

Olle E. Johansson oej at edvina.net
Sat Jan 10 02:26:54 MST 2004

Steven Critchfield wrote:

> On Fri, 2004-01-09 at 22:40, Brent Franks wrote:
>
>>Does * support Called Party Identification?  Say for example, I dial
>>extension 2000, SIP sends back John Doe from the sip.conf file where
>>extension 2000 is defined?  Would this violate the SIP RFC?
>

> Maybe you didn't think about the fact that extensions aren't defined in
> sip.conf. Also it is possible for many extensions to end up on any
> physical phone. So sending essentially caller ID back to the calling
> phone doesn't really make sense.

Agreed, the SIP channel doesn't really now anything about extensions, until
called. But when getting a call, we match with a user/peer and could in
theory send back a name. I don't know if I want this, though, of privacy
reasons. Maybe when I accept a call. And I haven't checked the RFCs on
where this should be placed in the SIP headers. Interesting question.
Propably belongs in the "200 OK" message.

Anyone else?

/O