[Asterisk-Users] Hardware to build an Enterprise AsteriskUniversal Gateway

Chris Albertson chrisalbertson90278 at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 10 00:50:00 MST 2004

--- Steve Underwood <steveu at coppice.org> wrote:
> WipeOut wrote:
>
> > Granted five 9's is never easy but in a cluster of 10+ servers the
> > system should survive just about anything short of an act of God..
>
> You do realise that is a real dumb statement, don't you? :-)
>
> A cluster of 10 machines, each on a different site. Guarantees from
> the
> power company - checked personally to see that aren't cheating - that
>
> you have genuinely independant feeds to these sites. Large UPSs, with
>
> diesel generator backups. Multiple diverse telecoms links between the

If he says "cluster" he likely means 10 servers in one rack.  But still
you are right.  It is all the other stuff that could break.  You
will need paralleld Ethernet switches (Yes they make these, no, they
are NOT cheap.) you will need some kind of fail over.  The switches
can do that for you. (do a google on "level 3 switch")

It's the level three switches that make .99999 possible but half or
more of your hardware will be just "hot spares" so it really will
take a rack full of boxes

Each box should have mirrored drives and dual power supplies and each
AC power cord needs to go to it's own UPS

Has anyone tried to build Asterisk on SPARC/Solaris?  One SPARC
server is almost five nines all by itself as it can do thinks
like "boot around" failed CPU, RAM or disks.  I've actually
pulled a disk drive out of a running Sun SPARC and applications
continoued to run.

=====
Chris Albertson
  Home:   310-376-1029  chrisalbertson90278 at yahoo.com