[Asterisk-Users] Called Party Identification

Brent Franks mwless at mindworks.net
Fri Jan 9 23:44:24 MST 2004

No, but the Caller ID Information for a SIP extension is stored in
sip.conf, so yes, I did think about that.

As far as making sense, many meridian systems do this, and it is quite
helpful.  This could help with the implementation of gastman, and also
end user phones.  On the Cisco's and Polycom's, when you place a call on
hold, rather than seeing an extension, you would see the name and you
could toggle between the calls and see the name, rather than number
(O.K. that part is a convenience thing).  I know on my Meridian system
at work, if you accidentally dial the wrong extension, the name pops up
after it starts ringing, and you know your calling the wrong person.
You can hang up, or tell the person real quick, hey sorry, I meant to
call someone else.

Not sure why other PBX's do Called Party Identification, but it would
definitely be a nice feature to have, and they have found some use for
putting it in their system.  I'll begin work on it myself, I was just
inquiring as to whether it was implemented or not.

The Polycom phones state in the Admin Guide they support Called Party
ID, but it is a network provided service.  So they found a use for it
too.

Regards,

Brent