[Asterisk-Users] USA dial plan

ml at neoninternet.com ml at neoninternet.com
Fri Jan 9 12:55:39 MST 2004

> Hi,
>
> Do the callers in USA dialling from USA Telco lines always have to
> prefix the CITY/AREA code with "1" in order
> To successfully make a call to other USA destinations?
>
> ----
> I have not been to USA (yet) :)
>
> Ta
> SJ

In all cases of long distance, 1 plus the area code is used.  In small areas where local only is involved you usually only dial 7 digits.  In metro areas with multiple area codes, you use 10 digit dialing.  Some places you use 10 digit dialing or 1 + area code, depends on the phone company.    I've seen this happen on the east coast.

Kevin