[Asterisk-Users] A question about Linux kernels and Asterisk

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Fri Jan 9 10:38:00 MST 2004

On Fri, 2004-01-09 at 11:12, WipeOut wrote:
> I understand.. Thanks for explaining..
>
> I am going to give kernel building a go but I don't think it will be on
> a production box for a while, not until I am happy that I have at least
> some understanding as to what I am doing..

Your welcome and what you mention is a wise decision. Also make sure you
have entries in your boot manager for known good kernels. Possibly also
a good idea is to get a good knoppix CD in case you hose your test
environment. Don't forget to run lilo if you are using lilo after each
kernel upgrade.

> Thanks again, as always you are a great source of informed help..

No problem, thanks for letting me dig deep into that engine analogy. You
let me combine 2 of my favorite things to work/think about together. I
don't think the welder would have made for a good analogy to try and
shoo horn into that.