[Asterisk-Users] Nortel Option 61C PBX?

Johnson, Randy rjohnson at Spang.com
Thu Jan 8 14:57:08 MST 2004

We have had * interfaced to an Option 11C here in our corporate headquarters
in _non-production_ use for some months.  We have the Nortel TMDI card with
software D-channel.  We're on Release 25 Issue 30+.  A 61C should be no
different, given similar cards and software versions.

After a patch to libpri by Martin Pycko at Digium (to deal with odd but
apparently technically correct 5ESS behavior by the Nortel switch), we've
been successfully using 5ESS-mode PRI.  The Nortel side is configured as a
PRI TIE trunk, user side, and * is the network side (signalling=pri_net).
NI2 might also work, but we ended up using 5ESS instead.  Caller id is
transmitted to and from SIP extensions on * and also over IAX2 trunks
through to Nortel digital sets.

We started with a T100P, which worked fine, and a while back upgraded to a
TE410P, which also works fine.  Once in a while, the Nortel card will go
into red alarm, but I believe this is a problem with our 11C because we
always need to disable and FDL the whole TMDI card, and because the * always
comes right back up when the 11C gets itself straightened out.

Tomorrow I will be interfacing the remote side IP-PBX gateway to an 11C
Compact with a DTI card (just E&M signalling, no PRI).  After some testing,
both gateways will go into production, carrying 4-6 concurrent calls over an
IAX2 trunk.  I'll let the list know how it goes.

Randy Johnson