[Asterisk-Users] Re: Sound Card help -- Solution -- and a question

Steve Murphy murf at e-tools.com
Thu Jan 8 14:24:02 MST 2004

Many thanks to those responding to my query, especially Steven
Critchfield.

He was right, I had missed turning off the sound system on the
Motherboard
in the BIOS settings. I turned it off, played with naming on my
/dev/dsp* devices,
and my sound card is behaving properly. Still get error messages from
the
chan_oss stuff, but I don't mean to use the console on asterisk anyway.

I wrote up a variant of the app System(),  and called it SystemCID(),
which basically
takes the arg, and runs it thru sprintf, substituting any %s in the
string with the
chan->callerid number string used in the privacy application, and
handing the
result to system() for execution. The results of system are basically
ignored, and
a zero returned.

Why did I do this? I want to simply play the incoming caller name over
the speaker
on the soundcard in the server. While I was at it, I also use it to play
the name of
the intended person being called, as around here, several can share the
same phone.

I just use the plain old sound app "play" to do this by:

exten => s,1,SystemCID(/usr/bin/play
/var/lib/asterisk/sounds/priv-callerintros/%s.gsm&)

If a sound file corresponding to the CID exists in the priv-callerintros
dir, it sounds off. Otherwise,
no intro.

Making an app to force anyone who doesn't have an entry, to record one
for them,
 shouldn't be that big a deal. Right now, I have such a beast in the
privacy code I submitted,
but to prime the pump, I recorded intros for over 70 of the most popular
callers to reduce
confusion and delays.

Steven proposed using a softphone in auto-answer mode for such purposes,
but I have a
hard time visualizing how this would work, exactly. Has anyone got such
an caller announcement
system in operation? What was your approach?

murf