[Asterisk-Users] Administrative suggestions

Matteo Brancaleoni mbrancaleoni at espia.it
Thu Jan 8 07:05:01 MST 2004

also some suggestions from me...

Il gio, 2004-01-08 alle 14:38, Florian Overkamp ha scritto:

> * Look into your __startup script__ and take provisions to detect and
> restart and hung asterisk. Check out daemontools for this purpose. You could
> also regularly telnet into Asterisk (manager.conf) to at least make sure it
> hasn't completely crashed.
> ''Running Asterisk can also be done from /etc/inittab, resulting in an
> automatic restart after a stop. Do make sure your machine at least starts
> properly, or it will reload at maximum speed. To monitor the livelyness of
> Asterisk, some tools are available which assist with integration in
> monitoring systems such as mon, big brother and netsaint.''
I use monit http://www.tildeslash.com/monit . this tool is pretty nice,
and permits to check the proc by ps list, pid and sockets (like the
manager interface) or even do your own plugins. (added to wiki)

> I tried doing this with my own CVS tree, but keeping it maintained proved a
> pain in the *ss. Who has good suggestions about this ? :-))

me too :) I'm mantaining my own cvs tree with my patches, new additions
and so on... but I think this is the only way.
I think that can be a pain in the **s only if you wanna keep track
of all main CVS changes... I think the main reason to have a own CVS
is to put a stable version (after some tests) and do only bug fixes...
no need to have all new fancy features :)

Matteo.

--
Matteo Brancaleoni
Espia System Administrator
Email : mbrancaleoni at espia.it
Web   : http://www.espia.it
Phone : +39 02 70633354      - ext 201
IAX(2): guest at 213.140.14.155 - ext 201
Iaxtel: 1-700-56-62458       - ext 201