[Asterisk-Users] Re: 911 and lawsuits and redundancy

Andrew Kohlsmith akohlsmith-asterisk at benshaw.com
Wed Jan 7 20:56:55 MST 2004

> I need to update my Asterisk server that runs all my phones inorder to
> install a kernel update that fixes a security bug. This is something I
> would consider happening on a regular basis with a voip enable system,
> whereas the traditional system might sit in a closet for 10 years never
> being touched. Let's say I don't want to stay at work until 2 am to
> reload the system when noone is there. How would you configure and *
> system(s so that you could take a system offline during working hours
> without taking out all or parts of the system?

I don't use SIP for one, and I forward udp/4562 to my * box from the
firewall...  of course now what happens if you have to upgrade the
firewall?  :-)

I think the basic solution is a cluster.  That way you can upgrade in pieces
without losing functionality.  There are T1 monitoring/switching devices
which will let two boxes share a single T1 and "fail over" immediately,
although you'll lose the calls in progress.

Regards,
Andrew