[Asterisk-Users] Newbie Question-Looking for Feedback

M. Matt Colgin asterisk at digitalcandle.com
Wed Jan 7 18:37:52 MST 2004

Goal
====
Provide phone service using the Asterisk system running on standard PC
equipment for four concurrent phone conversations. Calls will come into the
Asterisk system where they will be answered via VoIP. VoIP will be provided
via the internal 100mbit/s ethernet network and optionally from the internet
via a T1 line providing 1.5mbit/s.

Setup
=====
We're a small business inducted to the Asterisk world in an attempt to
provide a "real" phone system to customers and our remote employees.

The #1 attraction to Asterisk is it's low cost, feature set and the fact
that it's opensource (linux).

In a previous email, I asked for a bit of direction in what type of
configurations would be best suited for our environment. I've taken as much
feedback and suggestions and formulated three different configurations that
seem to solve the goal. Each of the configurations seem to advantages and
disadvantages.

Questions
=========
The number one question for each configuration is "Will this work?" and
"Does anyone else run this configuration in their environment?"

(Configuration Diagrams are below the Questions)

Configuration #1
----------------
- Can our telecom company provide two ISDN BRI lines. Each ISDN line
providing 2 channels of 64kbit/s?
- What manufacturer/model of ISDN adaptor is best supported by Asterisk?

Disadvantage: Seems to be a rare configuration based on what seems to be
antiquated technology.

Advantage: Cost. I estimate the two ISDN BRI cards to run $100/each with
minimal investment in the telecom provisioning.

Configuration #2
----------------
- Are there cheaper, less extensive channel banks which might be more cost
effective for our limited scalability needs?

Disadvantage: Cost. The channel bank runs about $1700-$2000 retail with the
8-port FXO service card.

Advantage:    Future Scalability. However, I don't perceive servicing
additional phone lines and if we did, it would most likely be done by
pulling some data channels off one of the existing T1s and sending it
directly to the Digium T100P.

Configuration #3
----------------
Advantage:    Cheap
Disadvantage: Suspected Reliability. In reading posts from other users of
these cards, there appears to be a serious chance of IRQ conflicts and
"echo" problems using this many single port FXO devices in a single machine.
Digium does not currently produce a >=2 port FXO version of the card.

CONFIGURATION Diagrams
======================

1. Switch the four POTS lines to 2 ISDN BRI lines.
   Install 2 cards which are 2-Port ISDN BRI Adaptors.

   ISDN BRI     ISDN BRI
   Line #1      Line #2
      |            |
      +----+-------+

       AVM or Eicon
        2 Port Card

2. "Bundle" the four POTS lines with a channel bank (creating a T1 with 4
channels used)
   Using a T1 cross-over, connect the channel bank to the Digium T100P

   POTS 4-Lines
   | | | |
   +-+++-+

   Carrier Access
   ADit 600

   Digium T100P

3. Take each of the four POTS lines and simply plug them into four distinct
   Digium Wildcard X100P adators.

   Downside is that this isn't a recommended procedure as there might be IRQ
   conflicts and "echo" induced by the multiple adaptors.

   POTS-1  POTS-2  POTS-3  POTS-4
     v       v       v       v
   X100P   X100P   X100P   X100P

             TDM400P 4 Port (to make analog lines from *PBX)

Hard Phones: Snom 200, Grandstream ($70), Cisco ($$)
Soft Phones: X-Lite, X-Pro