[Asterisk-Users] (newbie) Hardware sizing question

David Gomillion dgomillion at eyecarenow.com
Wed Jan 7 13:45:41 MST 2004

Javed Ikbal <> wrote:
> Pardon me if this is a faq--I could not find the answer.

It is, but hey, let's go over it again.

> I am trying to build an asterisk-based solution with approximately
> 200 users. I have a 2.8 GHz P4 with 512 MB RAM.
> Any comments re this being sufficient/insufficient?

This depends quite a bit on what you're planning to do with it.  If you
have 200 users who pick up the phone once per week, it will be very
different from a 200-seat 24x7x365 call center.

Also, how are you planning to connect these 200 users?   That's a lot of
channel banks, or a high-bandwidth LAN.  Are you planning to use a
single server for all users, or would you be open to partitioning users
between multiple systems?

> Any pointers to sizing guidelines will be really appreciated.

I recommend going to google, and typing "Asterisk Hardware" and click
the "I'm feeling lucky" button.  It will take you into the tiki.

Good luck, and I hope you find what you need, or at least what questions
you need to ask.

> Thanks
> Javed

David Gomillion

PS.  You may want to use plain text for email instead of HTML when
posting to lists.