[Asterisk-Users] Newbie Question-Looking for Feedback

M. Matt Colgin asterisk at digitalcandle.com
Wed Jan 7 12:56:25 MST 2004

I've been looking at Asterisk for a replacement for our phone system and I'm
hoping someone can help validate my assumptions.

We have 4 analog lines coming into the building. These lines are simple POT
lines and we have them in a "hunt group" with Verizon so that when a single
phone number is dialed, the first line is rang, if that line is busy it will
ring the second line, and so on.

I would like to put together an Asterisk system to handle these lines and
allow us to do VoIP, call queuing, voice menuing, etc. In looking at the
product offerings of Digium, it appears that I need 4 Wildcard X100P's and 1
Wildcard TDM400P 4-Port. For VoIP work, I'm looking for any recommendations
that can be made. My first priority is to support a user in New Zealand
talking to our phone system in the US, but there could be another 2 I'd like
to support in the US (all on cable modems with the typical capped 30KB/s
upload). I'd like for it to work very well with the Asterisk PBX and be as
simple as plugging in a ethernet cable or even support 802.11b/g with little
to no configuration.

In addition, I'm curious on other people's experience with software based
VoIP phone. Specifically, it appears that a good amount of amount could be
saved by using software based phones inside the building, thereby negating
the need to purchase 3 hard VoIP phones and the Wildcard TDM400P. Can anyone
recommend a good software package, that is fairly idiot proof and would work
well for a small call-center with temp/minwage employees?

To Summarize:
- Can and does it make sense to purchase 4 Wildcard X100P's?
- Can and does it make sense to purchase 1 Wildcard TDM400P (4-Port)?
- What VoIP hard phone works best with Asterisk? Are there WiFi ones that
are less than $100?
- How much bandwidth does VoIP require? Will cable modem users with a max
30KB/s upload ok?
- What VoIP soft phone works best with Asterisk?

Also:
- What kind of uptime are people experiencing?
- How much system load will be needed for 4 concurrent VoIP conversations?
- What kind of gotcha's have people had that would be good for a newbie to
know?

Thank you in advance,

Matt