[Asterisk-Users] OT: Calculating Bandwith

Nicolas Bougues nbougues-listes at axialys.net
Wed Jan 7 06:10:50 MST 2004

On Wed, Jan 07, 2004 at 01:06:12AM -0800, calvis wrote:

> I am trying to calculate bandwidth needs.  Is 1 T1 Line able to provide
> 488.5 Gigabytes of traffic for 1 month based on a 30 day week?   I did my
> calculation as follows:
>
> 1.544 mps * number of seconds in a minute(60) * number of minutes in a hour
> (60) * number of hours in a day(24) * number of days in a month(30) =
> 4002048 megabits / 1024 = (3908.25 gigabits)  / 8 = (488.53125 gigabytes) of
> bandwidth for a T1 Line.
>
> Please correct me if I am wrong.

Well, if the problem is to move about 450 GB of data over your T1 on a
one month timespan, it's possible.

But that's probably not what you want : you probably want to establish
various connections, at various times, with various remote
machines. There will probably be periods during the day (at night for
instance) or during the week (on week ends) when the traffic will be
much less (if it's calibrated to require a T1 during the busy hours).

And you don't want your line to be busy all day long : the performance
will suck.

The thing is, your internet link has to be able to accomodate your
peak load, with measures like "I accept to have a 90% line occupation
30 minutes per day" in order to have a fairly decent quality.

About 200 GB a month (total of both directions) would qualify, IMHO, as
"optimised bandwidth usage" in that kind of context.

--
Nicolas Bougues
Axialys Interactive