[Asterisk-Users] Re: [Asterisk-Dev] benevolent dictatorship, or inclusive developper community?

Tilghman Lesher tilghman at mail.jeffandtilghman.com
Tue Jan 6 21:59:08 MST 2004

On Tuesday 06 January 2004 22:33, Chris Albertson wrote:
> It's a chicken and egg type thing.  I'd contribute some work
> I've done.  But why bother?  It will just sit there and
> never get used.  If I thought my work might make it into CVS
> I'd be motivated but I see the chances of that are about zip
> So I don't bother.  My guess is I'm not the only one thinking
> like this.

Spoken like a guy who has never contributed anything back.  As
a person who has contributed quite a few patches already (even
though there are still a few outstanding), I'll say you need to put
your money where your mouth is.  If you've got some great patches,
why are you sitting on them and not sharing them with the community?
Sure, getting something into CVS is great, but you completely miss the
point of open source:  sharing ideas.

Some of my patches might not be the best method in the world, but at
the very least, I put them out there to be commented upon and improved.
I don't sit back in an armchair proclaiming that I have really great
patches, but I'm not going to share them unless they're guaranteed to go
into CVS.  Why do you believe your programming is so great that it
deserves to go into CVS right away?

I believe I asked this of you several months back and never got an
answer, so I won't be too surprised if you duck the question again.

-Tilghman