[Asterisk-Users] Voicemail to email file sizes

Tilghman Lesher tilghman at mail.jeffandtilghman.com
Tue Jan 6 16:27:48 MST 2004

On Tuesday 06 January 2004 14:25, Jonathan Moore wrote:
> I am wondering what is the best way to send the smallest files with
> the vm to emai l integration? I am not sure what order the three
> lines of the format command take, so I have just tried trial and
> error swapping. I think when set to "gsm" I get the smallest sizes.
> I can get my Windows Media player to play at least part of the file
> (get missing codec message from Realplayer), but get a format error
> at the end. What is the recommended route? If trying to use gsm is
> there a way to change the mime type to an appropriate value for gsm
> files? Is there a file extension convention for gsm files if I want
> to try some manual test on my computer before tackling a mimetype
> change?

Voicemail are saved on the server in all format specified in
voicemail.conf, but only the first one is sent with the email.  If
you're using Windows on your email clients, I'd suggest that you
go with WAV (and yes, case matters), as that format is a compressed
sound format recognized by Microsoft (aka MSGSM, WAV49).

-Tilghman