[Asterisk-Users] Re: 911 and lawsuits and redundancy

Adthrawn adthrawn at adthrawn.freeserve.co.uk
Tue Jan 6 16:15:47 MST 2004

Hi,

Most companies we work with, have 'designated' crisis management teams.
These vary from the insignificant crisis', through to life-threatening
crisis'. There is always an assigned emergency services contact, whose
job it is in an emergency, to maintain communication with the emergency
services.

One of our corporate functions is crisis management - so we have to
consider the global repercussions and the ultra-fine detail at the same
time. From considering overall redundancy of the phone system, down to
the tiny, but significant detail - like "the phone system caused the
fire"... Basically, taking the worse case scenario, and making it
worse.

At the very least, we always ensure that there is at least one PSTN
line that is run through armored trunking to an analogue phone in a
fire-proof cabinet. Simply put, a classic Hollywood style "red phone"
with one button and a giant red flashing light. (Okay, full keypad and
no flashing light, but you get the idea).

The reality is, that 999 or 911 redundancy has nothing to do with the
phone system per-say, it's down to the crisis procedures of the
company. Think of it this way; what happens if a fire breaks out on a
large plant? First, you'd have the staff who found it phoning emergency
services. Next, you'll have the security office phoning the emergency
services... Next, staff in the nearest office are likely to phone the
emergency services, not to mention lorry drivers or forklift drivers on
their mobiles!

On top of this, in most places that a crisis would occur, there is
little possibility of installing phones - period. Most plants rely on
mobiles, walkie-talkie or DECT phones. The number of armored cables
I've seen ripped in half, or optical spurs that have been cut by
diggers - VoIP and traditional PBX's have no coverage of these areas -
forget redundancy!

So at this point, the emergency services have been contact about the
crisis three or four times... Possibly three or four addresses,
depending on the registration of the phone itself. What if the fire
brigade need to know what special equipment to bring? Chemicals to deal
with? They'll phone the company, and will probably get a confused
receptionist... She's been answering calls all day - she doesn't know
there's a fire on a production line on the other side of the plant.

Now, with a crisis plan, the following would happen. In an emergency,
the person discovering it would contact the crisis manager, or one of
his/her subordinates. If it's a major emergency, then the person
discovering this may have had to call the emergency services first.
Nonetheless, this is all reported to the crisis manager. The crisis
manager does a number of things, one of which is to be the crisis
manager. Sound bizarre? Well, no. Their job, is partly to be a central
point of communication. Any calls coming in regarding emergencies will
be patched directly to this person. In the event of phone system
failures or major disasters, then the person will have an emergency
phone on which to call out on.

It's actually more dangerous to empower people in an emergency, then it
is to reduce the number of people involved, and to tightly control the
situation.

If anybody is interested in crisis management, or looking at ways of
legally solving this problem, then let me know

Best,
Ad.

On 6 Jan 2004, at 6:35 pm, asterisk-users-request at lists.digium.com