[Asterisk-Users] 911 and lawsuits and redundancy

Jim Flagg flaggj at comcast.net
Tue Jan 6 11:06:34 MST 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jonathan Moore" <moorejon at usd465.com>
To: <asterisk-users at lists.digium.com>
Sent: Tuesday, January 06, 2004 12:34 PM
Subject: Re: [Asterisk-Users] 911 and lawsuits and redundancy

> This is esp true of any VoIP PBX system. In fact I think many of them run Windows.

Or VOIP in general.  This is what Vonage makes you agree to in their Terms of Service.

"2.4 Requires Activation:
You acknowledge and understand that 911 dialing does not function unless you have successfully activated the 911dialing feature by
following the instructions from the "Dial 911" link on your dashboard, and until such later date that such activation has been
confirmed to you through a confirming email.  You acknowledge and understand that you cannot dial 911 from this line unless and
until you have received a confirming email.

2.5 Failure to Designate the Correct Physical Address When Activating 911 Dialing:
Failure to provide the current and correct physical address and location of your Vonage equipment will result in any 911
communication you may make being routed to the incorrect local emergency service provider.

2.6 Requires Re-Activation if You Change Your Number:
You acknowledge and understand that 911 dialing does not function if you change your phone number unless and until you have
successfully activated the 911 dialing feature following the instructions from the "Dial 911" link on your dashboard, and until such
later date that such activation has been confirmed to you through a confirming email.  911 dialing must be re-activated.  Although
you may have activated 911 dialing with your former Vonage phone number, you must separately activate 911 dialing for any new
number.

2.7 Change of Physical Location of Vonage Equipment:
You acknowledge and understand that 911dialing does not function properly or may not function at all if you take your equipment with
you away from the address or physical location that you have designated.

2.8 Requires Re-Activation if You Move:
You acknowledge and understand that 911 dialing does not function properly or at all if you move or change the physical location of
your Vonage equipment to a different street address, unless and until you have successfully activated the 911 dialing feature
following the instructions from the "Dial 911" link on your dashboard, and until such later date that such activation has been
confirmed to you through a confirming email.  911dialing must be re-activated although you may have activated 911 dialing using your
former address, and you must separately activate 911 dialing for any new physical address.  Failure to provide the current and
correct physical address and location of your Vonage equipment will result in any 911 dialing you may make being routed to the
incorrect local emergency service provider

2.9 Possibility of Network Congestion and/or Reduced Speed for Routing 911:
Due to the manner in which it is technically possible to provide the 911 dialing feature for Vonage DigitalVoice at this time, you
acknowledge and understand that there is a greater possibility of network congestion and/or reduced speed in the routing of a 911
communication made utilizing your Vonage equipment as compared to traditional 911 dialing over traditional public telephone
networks.  You acknowledge and understand that 911 dialing from your Vonage equipment will be routed to the general telephone number
for the local emergency service provider, and will not be routed to the 911 dispatcher(s) who are specifically designated to receive
incoming 911 calls at such local provider's facilities when such calls are routed using traditional 911 dialing.  You acknowledge
and understand that there may be a greater possibility that the general telephone number for the local emergency service provider
will produce a busy signal or will take longer to answer, as compared to those 911 calls routed to the 911 dispatcher(s) who are
specifically designated to receive incoming 911 calls using traditional 911 dialing.

2.10 Automated Number Identification:
At this time in the technical development of Vonage 911 dialing, it may or may not be possible for the Public Safety Answering Point
(PSAP) and the local emergency personnel to identify your phone number when you dial 911.  Vonage's system is configured in most
instances to send the automated number identification information; however, the phone system routes the traffic to  the PSAP and the
PSAP itself must be able to receive the information and pass it along properly, and they are not yet always technically capable of
doing so.  You acknowledge and understand that PSAP and emergency personnel may or may not be able to identify your phone number in
order to call you back if the call is unable to be completed, is dropped or disconnected, or if you are unable to speak to tell them
your phone number and/or if the Service is not operational for any reason, including without limitation those listed elsewhere in
this Agreement.

2.11 Automated Location Identification:
At this time in the technical development of Vonage 911 Dialing, it is not possible to transmit identification of the address that
you have listed to the Public Safety Answering Point (PSAP) and local emergency personnel for your area when you dial 911.  You
acknowledge and understand that you will need to state the nature of your emergency promptly and clearly, including your location,
as PSAP personnel will NOT have this information.  You acknowledge and understand that PSAP and emergency personnel will not be able
to find your location if the call is unable to be completed, is dropped or disconnected, if you are unable to speak to tell them
your location and/or if the Service is not operational for any reason, including without limitation those listed elsewhere in this
Agreement.

2.12 Alternative 911 Arrangements
You acknowledge that Vonage does not offer primary line or lifeline services. You should always have an alternative means of
accessing traditional E911 services."