[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk feature list: spreadsheet

John Todd jtodd at loligo.com
Tue Jan 6 07:17:04 MST 2004

http://www.loligo.com/asterisk/misc/Presentations/Asterisk-features-20040106.xls

I had been asked a while ago to put together a short Excel
spreadsheet listing many of the "common" features of Asterisk as
compared to a typical PBX.  Many PBX vendors supply an exhaustive
list of their features, and I figured I'd take as many of the unique
features as others had offered, and put them together in a big list,
and then also include some of the features that are unique to
Asterisk.

I think this list will be of some use to persons evaluating Asterisk
against their existing PBX platform, or other vendors of new VoIP
systems.  Note that I took some liberties with the "standard feature"
syntax: often, things that seemed _very_ easy for me to do with
Asterisk's scripting features I listed as "S"tandard, even though it
would require a few minutes of work.  Other features which seemed to
be a little more complex, or which would require some web
programming, I listed with estimates of how much time it would take
to build them.  I assumed use of Cisco 7960 phones, so some of the
features which are really deskset options I listed as "S"tandard if I
were to use 7960 devices.  Caveat emptor for other desksets.

This is not truly a "comparison", since there are no other columns in
the spreadsheet.  However, it's good fodder for you to whack your
VoIP or PBX vendor on the nose with, since they typically will not be
able to match the feature list.

Olle: feel free to add to the Wiki, since you asked for this type of list.
Anyone else: feel free to send me updates in cut/pasteable Excel form
if you have things you'd like to add to the list.

JT