[Asterisk-Users] Sip Trunking

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Mon Jan 5 19:57:03 MST 2004

On Mon, 2004-01-05 at 12:57, Eduardo Goncalves wrote:
> On Mon, 5 Jan 2004 11:20:08 -0600 (CST)
> Brian West <brian at bkw.org> wrote:
>
> > Why not use IAX2 trunking you can accomplish the same results with ..
> > I tried SIP to SIP with asterisk you must do it without passwords.
>
> 	Because cisco doesn't compress IAX headers, only rtp.

Have you verified that IAX2 trunking doesn't save you the same or more
bandwidth, or are you stuck on your solution of using the Ciscos? I
think IAX2 is already a small header, and trunking saves you 8 bytes per
packet per call over 1. So at 4 calls you have 32 bytes * 50 per second
of saving. Thats 1800 bytes per second.