[Asterisk-Users] mailbox= wrong context. was: Newbie - MWI

Andrew Thompson asteriskuser at aktzero.com
Mon Jan 5 12:20:42 MST 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Olle E. Johansson" <oej at edvina.net>
To: <asterisk-users at lists.digium.com>
Sent: Monday, January 05, 2004 12:20 PM
Subject: Re: [Asterisk-Users] mailbox= wrong context. was: Newbie - MWI

> Jared Smith wrote:
> > Comments below:
> >
> > On Mon, 2004-01-05 at 07:10, Andrew Thompson wrote:
> >
> >>Hmm... I was trying to seperate the mailbox= definition from the context
> >>specifically named "default". IMHO, the implied(i.e. default) context
for a
> >>mailbox should be the context that's indicated for the device.
> >>
> >>Take the below grossly simplified sip definition:
> >>
> >>[sipphone1]
> >>type=friend
> >>host=dynamic
> >>context=not_the_default
> >>username=sipphone1
> >>
> >>The context for this device is "not_the_default". Now, If I assign a
> >>voicemail MWI to it, like this:
> >>
> >>mailbox=1234
> >>
> >>* currently looks for this extension in the "default" context. I believe
> >>this is incorrect. The "default" context should have been overridden by
> >>"not_the_default" that's already been defined for that device.
> >

> > I think you're confusing the "extensions.conf" context with the
> > "voicemail" context.  On the mailbox= line, you need to specify a
> > voicemail context.  From what I understand, voicemail contexts are
> > completely seperate from extensions.conf contexts.
>
> Technically, yes. But from a user perspective, I feel defaulting to the
same
> context name, even if they are different things, is more logical than
defaulting
> to "default" if not specified.
>
> What is considered logical, is of course very personal :-)
>
> /O

You are correct, the voicemail context and extension context have no implied
connections. I actually hadn't considered that as part of the equation since
I was expecting them to be the same in the most likely scenario.

It seems not logical (to me) for a peer to have a "context" (no mention of
what kind of context) and it's other attributes not inherit that.

Just as an aside, to make it absolutely clear, I have no problem with being
able to define an alternate context on an attribute-by-attribute basis:
mailbox=1234 at somewhere_else.

-----
Andrew Thompson http://aktzero.com/
Your eyes are weary from staring at the CRT. You feel sleepy. Notice how
restful it is to watch the cursor blink. Close your eyes. The opinions
stated above are yours. You cannot imagine why you ever felt otherwise.