[Asterisk-Users] Question about MP3's

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Mon Jan 5 11:15:26 MST 2004

On Mon, 2004-01-05 at 10:36, B. J. Bomar wrote:
> Hello all.  I know * doesn't directly support recording mp3 files, but
> I was wondering if anyone has created an AGI to do it indirectly.
> Thanks in advance.

That should be fairly trivial depending on what you want to accomplish.

If all you want is audio in mp3 format in non realtime mode, just record
to ulaw then send to sox or lame or some other app.

If you want realtime, you might be able to rig an EAGI app to pipe audio
to a app that compresses for you.

Please reevaluate your need for MP3 as you will find that it doesn't
compress as well as gsm when comparing file size with quality. I have
done quite a bit of testing in this field as we record medical
transcription where file size directly impacts performance and therefore
profit.