[Asterisk-Users] Multi-line help

Sean Garland sean at siskiyoutech.com
Sun Jan 4 17:18:07 MST 2004

I am looking for common practice ideas on how to handle multiple line
phones.  Is it common with asterisk to have the lines appear as
programmable buttons? Or to just have itcm like buttons and use the dial
9 approach?  What I am specifically interested in, is to have my line
one appear on the first button (sip polycom phones) line two appear on
the second button, and use the third as an intercom (internal extension)
button.  I have managed to get the line 1 to ring on the line 1 button
and the same for line two.  I have even managed to get extension
transfers to happen on the itcm button.

The trouble I have is that I don't know if someone else is on the
particular line, and when I dial, it picks up the first available button
(line) so even if I dial an extension, it looks like I am dialing from
line 1 to the extension.  How do I make it pick the third button, etc...

Confusing?  I have read the "handbook" and countless searches through
wiki and Google, but cannot find practical examples of multi-line use
with asterisk.

Thanks a ton.  I have been testing asterisk and on the mailing list for
about a month now...  I would be happy to send all my config files for
perusal.

Sean Garland - Siskiyou Technology Consultants