[Asterisk-Users] Hardware to build an Enterprise AsteriskUniversal Gateway

WipeOut wipe_out at users.sourceforge.net
Sun Jan 4 12:28:54 MST 2004

Steven Critchfield wrote:

>On Sun, 2004-01-04 at 10:14, Doug Shubert wrote:
>

>>I would set the "Enterprise Class" bar at five 9's reliability
>>(about 5.25 minutes per year of down time) the same
>>as a Class 4/5 phone switch. This would require redundant
>>design considerations in both hardware and software.
>>
>>In our network, Linux is approaching
>>"Enterprise Class" and I don't see why *
>>could not achieve this in the near future.
>>

>I may be wrong, but I think the 5 9's relates to full system not to
>individual pieces especially when talking about a class4/5 switch. On a
>small scale deployment, that will be a problem as you won't implement
>full redundancy. Redundancy adds quite a bit to the cost of your
>deployment.
>
>As far as linux goes, it is at that level if you put forth the effort to
>make it's environment decent. I have multiple machines approaching 2
>years of uptime, and many over a year of uptime. I have not had a
>machine in my colo space go down since we removed the one machine with a
>buggy NIC.
>
>So next step, is asterisk. Outside of a couple of deadlocks from kernel
>problems when I was compiling new modules, I haven't had asterisk knock
>over while doing normal calls.
>
>The downtime could have been dealt with by having some redundancy in the
>physical lines. I would have lost the calls on the line, but the calls
>could be reconnected immediately.
>
>I can say up front that I have asterisk installs running multiple months
>without problems.

Steven,

You often mention your servers uptime, I am assuming you don't count
reboots since you must have had to patch your kernel at least a few
times in the last year and the reboot would have reset your uptime..

If that is the case then I have a server that is also around the 2 year
uptime mark.. The longest single runtime between reboots for updated
kernels is only 127 days.. :)

Later..