[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk, enterprise edition (New subject)

WipeOut wipe_out at users.sourceforge.net
Sun Jan 4 12:24:13 MST 2004

Nick Bachmann wrote:

>Yes, I've played with it a bit.  It's pretty simplistic... the clustering
>just keeps several servers in sync with each other.  I suppose that would
>be easy to do with Asterisk, especially if configuration data was stored
>in a RDBMS that could do replication.  Even now, setting up a copy/reload
>routine isn't difficult.
>It also seems that if you had a load balancer set up in front of your *
>servers to balance the call requests, you'd have enough clustering to keep
>one failure from taking down the whole system. Since the load balancer
>keeps an affinity table (and monitors to make sure the servers aren't
>going down) all VoIP connections could end up at the same * box once they
>had been allocated, unless a server goes down, in which case the call
>probably gets dropped. Any planned downtime could be made without any
>disruptions, since you could stop the load balancer from allocating any
>more connections to the * box and use 'stop when convenient' to wait for
>all current calls to end.
>Nick

As long as what ever system is used only presents a single IP address on
the network, the reason being that if a SIP UA is behind NAT the NAT
router will have opened a path for the response from the server it
contacted, if the request was offloaded to another IP address then the
response would not get through..

Also the servers in the "cluster" would have to share SIP registration
information so that all servers would know all availible UA's and all
servers would have to communicate to that UA on the same IP address..

These things could have major issues when it came to the RTP streams..