[Asterisk-Users] Hardware to build an Enterprise AsteriskUniversal Gateway

WipeOut wipe_out at users.sourceforge.net
Sun Jan 4 09:29:04 MST 2004

Doug Shubert wrote:

>I would set the "Enterprise Class" bar at five 9's reliability
>(about 5.25 minutes per year of down time) the same
>as a Class 4/5 phone switch. This would require redundant
>design considerations in both hardware and software.
>
>In our network, Linux is approaching
>"Enterprise Class" and I don't see why *
>could not achieve this in the near future.

Asterisk would need some kind of clustering/load balancing ability
(Single IP system image for the IP phones across multiple servers) to be
truely "Enterprise Class" in terms of both reliability and
scaleability..  Obviously that would not be as relevent for the analog
hard wired phones unless the channelbanks and T1/E1 lines could be
automatically switched to another server..

Later..