[Asterisk-Users] Re: Cisco SIP license?

Adthrawn adthrawn at adthrawn.freeserve.co.uk
Fri Jan 2 21:58:08 MST 2004

Josh,

This is what I've understood it to be so far...

The phone(s) are available in two flavours:

79xx with Call Manager Single User License

79xx without Call Manager Single User License

These optional licenses (which can also be purchase separately, and are
approx £10/$15) are to upgrade the number of users on the Cisco Call
Manager Platform.

If you think about it, a number of other brands of PBX utilise the
Cisco 79xx's, and Cisco does sell them with the aim of using them in
non-Call Manager situations (otherwise, they'd have just stuck to SCCP,
and never release MGCP or SIP firmware), so a cheaper version without
the legality of Call Manager Licensing was produced. Not much saving?
Well, depends how many you buy! And of course, how much more you spent
for the extra licenses with the Call Manager itself (you don't want to
double-spend when you're buying a $15,000 PBX).

The firmware is a different issue. To legally get the firmware, you
must have a support contract. Where I am hazey, is whether any support
contract between you and Cisco that gives you access to the TAC counts,
or whether you need a TAC contract for every device you plan to load
the firmware onto. Either way, with Cisco, if you can't get something
without paying for it, then you can count on it being illegal if you
don't!

I'll know on Monday, when I speak to my Cisco Rep next.

Best,
Ad.

On 3 Jan 2004, at 2:02 am, asterisk-users-request at lists.digium.com