[Asterisk-Users] mini-ITX suggestions

Patrick Cantwell seamus at manhattan.insomnia.org
Fri Jan 2 21:19:21 MST 2004

On Fri, 2 Jan 2004, Steven Critchfield wrote:

> On Fri, 2004-01-02 at 12:34, Gary Gapinski wrote:
> > Does anyone have recommendations for (or against) mini-ITX platforms to
> > be used with Wildcard X100P and TDM400P cards?
> >
> > I am considering the use of systems using VIA EPIA CL and Epia M as
> > small, quiet platforms on which to host Asterisk.
>
> It has been covered here before that those are i586 level chips, so be
> prepared for the actual horsepower you will get out of them. If you
> don't do much VoIP, it will probably be fine. I think there is even a
> person or 2 here already using them as thats why we know about the i586
> problem.

What about the newer chip (the Nehemiah)? I have an 800mhz version of the
older system/core that's clearly i586 architecture doing some PVR stuff (I
have a tuner card with mpeg encoding builtin, so the lack of horsepower is
a non-issue), however I *believe* the newer Nehemiah core is i686
compatable.  I do know they've added hardware RNG, SSE/SIMD extensions,
and a full speed floating point unit to the processor. The motherboard
also has an updated north/south bridge, utilizing PC2100/DDR266 RAM, comes
with USB2.0 and firewire integrated, and moves from 1 ATA100 to 2 ATA133
channels.  It'd sure be a waste to couple all of that nice hardware to an
antiquated i586 chip. (and the best is a board+chip+case can be
accomplished for around $200USD)
Can anyone confirm if they've added what was necessary to bring the chip
up to the i686 level?

A brief overview of the new Nehemiah features can be seen at
http://www.mini-itx.com/reviews/nehemiah/?page=3#s05

I'll have one of these machines in hand probably early next week, so maybe
I can do some testing before I move it into the role of my new PVR (those
damn trans-encodes from mpeg to streamable formats take too darn long on
the 800! :)

-Pat