[Asterisk-Users] A General question

Philipp von Klitzing klitzing at pool.informatik.rwth-aachen.de
Sun Feb 29 12:22:40 MST 2004

Hi!

> Could someone find the time to tell me whether ALL functions in Asterisk
> are programmed using scripts and contexts ?

I guess the answer is NO - "applications" are written in C and not
scripted. Still you have verious options for configuration and scripting
as Scott already pointed out.

Look here:
http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-Asterisk+-
+documentation+of+application+commands

> In this example: Is it not possible for each user to configure (say) the
> voicemail so that whenever there's a message (data which probably affects
> the dialtone or a light on the recipient phone), an action is taken.

Depends on what exactly you need and when you want this to happen. One
possible answer might be "HasNewVoicemail()":

http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-Asterisk+cmd+HasNewVoicemail

> A  daemon could then check a database to find out the action (dialout,
> sms message.. or whatever) and the target number.

Voicemail2 basically does this - you can configure it through
voicemail.conf:

http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-Asterisk+config+voicemail.conf

Cheers, Philipp