[Asterisk-Users] sip:user@domain.tld

WipeOut wipe_out at users.sourceforge.net
Sat Feb 28 07:17:19 MST 2004

If I want users to be able to call each other (or others to be able to
call users on our Asterisk system) using their email address
(firstname.lastname at domain.tld) what would have to be done?

I am guessing the folowing..

In sip.conf the phone definition would have to be..

[user.name]
secret..
blah..

In extentions.conf I would probably have to have a line like..

exten => user.name,1,Dial(SIP/user.name)
exten => user.name,2,blah..

I would have to allow anon access to a "default" context which will be
able to contact the extensions.. Is this possible?

And finally I would need a DNS server that supproted SRV records..

Have I left anything out?

Is the ability to query DNS for a SRV record something that may not be
supported by IP phones or does it just work?

Thanks..