[Asterisk-Users] exit

Greg Kedrovsky greg at iglesia-del-este.com
Fri Feb 27 05:53:27 MST 2004

On Thu, Feb 26, 2004 at 11:01:40PM -0500, Chris Clifton wrote:
> Greg,
>
> There may very well be another way to detach from the console, but I start
> asterisk on tty5 or tty6, and leave it running there. (redhat gives you 6
> console tty's by default, use [alt] + [f1,f2,f3,etc.] to switch) You can ssh
> into your box and do a 'asterisk -r' to connect to the console, which is
> nice for remote troubleshooting, etc. To exit this, simply type 'quit'.

I suppose I could do something like this. I supposed I could just close
the terminal window.

I run Asterisk on a headless server, and ssh into it via X on my desktop
(aterm terminal window). After the ssh connection is established, I can
check up on Asterisk. I did this yesterday by typing "asterisk -r" since
asterisk was already running in the background. I got a console and a
CLI prompt. I diddle and did what I needed to do at the moment. And then
thought, "gee... I'd like to close the term window out." So, in my Linux
logic, I figured it would be as simple as getting out of the Asterisk
console, back to a command line, exiting superuser, exiting my ssh
session and exiting my aterm windown in X here on my desktop.

Typing "quit" (or "exit") at the CLI prompt, though, returns this
message:

 The QUIT and EXIT commands may no longer be used to shutdown the PBX.
 Please use STOP NOW instead, if you wish to shutdown the PBX.

But, I don't want to shutdown the PBX. I just want out of the console
(CLI prompt) and back to my server command line. Like I said, I could
probably just close the term window and that would terminate my ssh
session. But, that's not the right way to do things.

I know I'm missing something - and it's probably pretty simple. But, I
have no idea what it is.

Thanks for the help.  :-)

-Greg

--