[Asterisk-Users] RE: sip router gateway

Girish Gopinath gopinath_girish at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 26 04:14:09 MST 2004

Anand,

> > >My question:
> > >
> > >CAN I use asterisk software as a replacement for siprg ? CAN I use
>DIGIUMs
> > >x100p PCI card as a replacement for QUICKNETS CTI LINE JACK CARD ?
> >
> > Asterisk is a soft PBX that has a SIP channel. It doesnt perform all the
> > functionalities of a sip router. You can use digium's cards with
>asterisk,
> > but is it legal to use such cards here in INDIA? As far as i know BSNL
> > relegations dont permit to use their infracture to use with VoIP. They
>dont
> > allow to land VoIP calls to a PSTN phone/mobile. (But it is possible,
> > illegal though)
>
>Yes, since we are doing this as part of the educational programme, and
>more over we plan to take special permission from BSNL towards this.
>
>Could you please explain me how does this soft PBX works ? and I want all
>the functionalities of the sip.

Please see here:
http://www.asteriskpbx.org/index.php?menu=features.

Friends, correct me if i am wrong:
Unlike a sip proxy that routes your sip requests/ responses, asterisk forces
the rtp media stream to pass through it. This is required for the features
like call transfer etc. But there are provisions to disable this feature.
Asterisk has a PBX core whereas SIP proxies have their proxy core and they
normally dont generate '100 Trying' responses for non INVITE requests.
Asterisk can be used with PSTN as well as VoIP. It provides all telephony
services.

All the functionalities of SIP, not sure,  At least my installation does not
support SUBSCRIBE, NOTIFY methods.

> > >CAN ASTERISK work as SIP ROUTER GATEWAY ?
> >
> > Asterisk is a PBX, If you just want a SIP router, i think it is better
> > use SIP Express Router or anything like that.
>but sip express router, does it supoort linphone,gnuosip,partysip? and
>what linejack card should i be using for this ?

Not sure.  Others here must be knowing about these issues. SER, partysip etc
work with asterisk
Also i dont have knowledge about linejack cards etc.

> > >CAN I USE ASTERISK, DIGIUMs card along with LINPHONE, PARTYSIP and
> > >GNUoSIP. ?
> >
> > Partysip and Linphone uses oSIP. right? Asterisk does not use any
>external
>Yes
> > protocol stacks. It has its own implementation. I am not sure,  but are
>you
> > planning to use * and Partysip in a same machine? What about SIP ports?
> > could be wrong.
>
>Yes, want to use it on the same machine,as you said, i really dont know
>whether the asterisk sip stack and gnuosip will collide......definetly.

I have a RH9 box installed with * and Partysip. But i have never tried to
run them together.

Regards, Girish