[Asterisk-Users] Simulating the "lighted line in use" type of phone

mattf mattf at vicimarketing.com
Wed Feb 25 16:19:56 MST 2004

It actually has components that run on the Asterisk server as well as a GUI
app that runs on the desktop(Win32 or Linux).

astguiclient was really designed for a larger environment than most of the
Asterisk client apps that are out there, and it is not as easy to set up. It
was also initially designed for the specific needs of my company.

It needs a MySQL server to be located somewhere that is accessible to the
Asterisk server and the client machines.(I'm thinking I should add a
$MySQL_port variable to the config files so that you can easily change the
MySQL port the server or client apps connect to for those with "creative"
firewalls)

The reasons that MySQL is used are simple: Scalability and Stability

I figured that out when I tried to have 60 concurrent connections to the
manager port getting updated info on channel statuses and the Asterisk
server quickly slowed to a crawl.

I wrote an application that runs on the Asterisk server to grab channel info
and dump it to the MySQL database so that potentially hundreds of clients
can be running at the same time without impacting the Asterisk server at
all.

Also, if you use the new optional Central Queue System that is bundled with
the latest release, the client app never actually connects to the Asterisk
server, all call initiations, transfers, and other commands are put into a
central MySQL queue table and are initiated locally on the Asterisk server.
But you don't have to use the CQS to have full functionality of the GUI app.

If anyone has any questions about astguiclient just send me an email.

MATT---