[Asterisk-Users] Comments on Voice Quality IP Hard Phones

Ernest W. Lessenger ernest at oacys.com
Wed Feb 25 09:09:26 MST 2004

At 05:49 AM 2/25/2004, you wrote:
>The Snom 200 phone mostly functions well, however the phone's logic is more
>oriented to european telephony and several of the functions do not work in
>a manner that one might consider 'standard' in the US. It's light-weight,
>pulls across the desk when the handset cord is stretched, handset is
>somewhat different when compared to old analog phones, some of the front
>panel keys have multiple functions (mostly undocumented) that can get one
>into trouble, etc. Still a good phone with many good characteristics
>including voice quality, but if you let a non-technical user eval both the
>Snom and Cisco, the user will pick the Cisco just about every time.

"multiple functions (mostly undocumented) that can get one into trouble."
Oh, lord can they! We discovered the hard way that the transfer button
means "transfer" when only one call is on the phone, and "conference" when
two calls are on the phone! The staff here have declared that they just
won't use the transfer button and will use the # button (an Asterisk
feature) instead.

--Ernest