[Asterisk-Users] painful first steps with * and SIP phones

Janusz Starzyk jstarzyk at adres.pl
Tue Feb 24 15:26:42 MST 2004

I hope, you do not mind few questions from the newbie:

As a first after installing the Asterisk I try to make it working with two
PCs and Xten-Lite installed.
Both PCs have fixed IP addresses but they log in to Asterisk only if
configured in sip.conf with host=dynamic. Why?

I have them defined in the default context in extensions.conf as:

exten => 621,1,Dial(SIP/621,20)
exten => 621,2,Voicemail(u621)
exten => 621,3,Hangup
exten => 621,102,Voicemail(b621)
exten => 621,103,Hangup

exten => 622,1,Dial(SIP/622,20)
exten => 622,2,Voicemail(u622)
exten => 622,3,Hangup
exten => 622,102,Voicemail(b622)
exten => 622,103,Hangup

in the sip.conf I put for each sip phone the following (<x> equals 1 and 2
respectively)

[62<x>]
type=friend
secret=<password>
host=dynamic
username=62<x>
dtmfmode=inband
mailbox=62<x>
callerid="<name>"
context=default

The Xten-Lite has dtmfmode set to inband too.

When I try to call from one phone the other one, I get voicemail saying the
other party is unavailable.
Moreover, I can not navigate in the voicemail as the key press seems to be
not received or unrecognized by the voicemail.

ON the Asterisk console I get the following messages:

Executing Dial("SIP/621-2cea","SIP/622|20") in new stack
Specify address with base=0xNNNNN
Called 622
Feb 24, WARNING[-1126650960]: chan_sip.c:495 retrans_pkt: Maximum retries
exceeded on call ........ for seqno 102 (Request)
No one is available to answer at this time
Executing Voicemail......
Playing 'vm-theperson'
Feb 24  WARNING[-1231549520]: dsp.c:1424 ast_dsp_process: Unable to process
inband DTMF on 2 frames -- repeated many times

Can somebody please help and suggest any corrections?

Thanks,
Janusz